The Department of Information Science at Stellenbosch University will host the 51st Annual
Conference of the Southern African Computer Lecturers’ Association (SACLA 2022) on 21 and
22 July 2022 in Cape Town, South Africa. The conference, which is planned to be an in-person event,
provides a forum for the discussion of original research and practical experiences in teaching and
learning of Information Systems, Computer Science, Information Technology and related disciplines, as
well as the use of software tools in support of education more broadly. The conference programme will
include research paper sessions, plenary keynote addresses, panels and workshops.
We invite submissions of full papers, research-in-progress papers and panel proposals on relevant topics
from researchers and practitioners from any country. Selected full papers will be published by
Springer in a Communications in Computer and Information Science
(CCIS) volume. Other accepted papers will be published in a locally produced, DHET subsidy
Submissions can be on any relevant topic, including, but not limited to
- education-oriented research or classroom experience;
- innovative teaching techniques or pedagogical tools;
- curricular innovations or initiatives;
- curriculum adaptations for relevance to discipline/students;
- innovative industry-education collaboration interventions;
- relevance of program/curriculum design to address local opportunities and challenges;
- didactics and methods of teaching and assessment;
- ethical problems related to teaching and learning;
- transition of newly graduated school pupils;
- transition of newly graduated students into industry;
- international comparability of degrees and levels of knowledge/skills/performance;
- separation or combination of teaching and research; or
- post-hoc analysis of successes and failures in teaching and learning.
- Full Papers (minimum of 12 pages, and a maximum of 16 pages in the Springer LNCS format) that report
on completed research, inclusive of results.
- Full papers will be reviewed by three reviewers following a double-blind peer review process. Papers
will be evaluated according to their novel research contribution, methodological soundness,
theoretical framing and reference to related work, quality of analysis, and quality of writing and
presentation. Only original, unpublished, research papers in English will be considered.
- As in previous years, a selection of the conference’s best full papers will be published in a
Springer CCIS volume (Scopus-indexed).
- Full papers not selected for the Springer CCIS publication will be eligible for inclusion in the
SACLA 2022 conference proceedings.
- All accepted full papers are DHET subsidy-bearing.
- Accepted full papers must be presented at the conference to be published in either
- All submitted papers will undergo a pre-screening process by the programme chairs before sending
them out for review. The programme chairs reserve the right to perform early rejection of any paper
that does not meet the minimum quality/formatting/scope requirements.
- Research-in-progress papers (maximum of 8 pages) that report intermediate results of ongoing
research projects which align with the conference scope.
- Research-in-progress papers will be reviewed by members of the programme committee but will not
undergo a double-blind review process.
- Accepted research-in-progress papers will be included in the conference pack and must be
presented at the conference.
- These submissions are not DHET
Proposals for Panel Discussion
- Proposals for Panel Discussions (maximum of 3 pages). Panel discussion proposals should include the
names of panel members.
- Proposals will be reviewed by members of the programme committee but will not undergo double-blind
- All papers must follow the Springer
- Authors should guarantee the anonymity of their submissions by removing names and affiliations from
the first page and elsewhere in the paper that would allow reviewers to easily identify authors.
- All papers must be submitted as per the author guidelines.
- Paper submission deadline:
- Closed 9 March 2022 (Extended)
- Notification of acceptance:
- 4 6 May 2022 (Revised)
- Camera-ready submission:
- 1 June 2022
- 21–22 July 2022